An Eco-Friendly Way To Get Rid Of Ants In Garden City Homes
The science of pest control has come a long way. As our knowledge of pests has increased by an order of magnitude, our options for managing pests have grown as well. Most of the ant control solutions we use today are eco-friendly. Let's take a look at ant pest control in Garden City and discuss how eco-friendly ant pest control works to get control of ant pests.
Common Species Of Ants That Invade Garden City Homes
In most cases, the ants that get into Garden City homes are not a threat. If the ants in your home are not a threat, you may be able to get control of them with eco-friendly pest management methods. We'll provide five examples of this below. The common, and mostly harmless, ants in our area are:
- Odorous house ants
- Argentine ants
- Little black ants
- Pavement ants
When ants invade your home or become a threat, the first step is to identify the ant pest you want to control. This helps to guide the selection of baits and other control products. If you're dealing with raspberry crazy ants, you're not going to apply carpenter ant solutions to control them. You're also not going to use the same products for all carpenter ant species. Some carpenter ants prefer protein baits and some prefer sugar baits.
If you're currently dealing with harmful ants in your home, it is best to have a professional identify the ants that are creating the problem, and let the professional decide on an effective ant control solution, depending on what ants you have. The three ants that present a risk in Garden City homes are:
- Carpenter ants
- Pharaoh ants
- Raspberry crazy ants
The Problems An Ant Infestation Can Create In A House
In most cases, ants are just nuisance pests. If you have nuisance ants, such as odorous house ants, argentine ants, little black ants, or pavement ants, you can manage them with natural pest management methods. We'll share some of these below.
If you find black carpenter ants in your home, you should be aware that these ants can cause property damage and it is best to contact a professional for ant pest control when these are the ants you're dealing with. You should never allow black carpenter ants in your home to go untreated by a trained and experienced professional. They can do extensive damage to wood over time.
Pharaoh ants are attracted to dirty things and eat dirty things. This causes these ants to present a health risk to humans. They're linked to the spread of salmonella, streptococcus, clostridium, botulism, and more.
Raspberry crazy ants get into cars, electronics, electrical boxes, and machinery. When they do, they can cause things to not work properly, or short out. Plus, the sheer numbers of raspberry crazy ants make them worthy of professional ant control.
Five Natural & Effective Ant Prevention Tips
When it comes to managing ants, natural pest management methods are often all that is required, even for harmful ant pests. Here are some tips that will help you with ant control in your yard and ant control in your house:
- Before ants get into your home, they find reasons to come into your yard. When you remove attractants, you reduce ant activity near your home and reduce the chance that ants will get inside. Keep trash in covered containers. Remove organic debris, such as leaves and sticks. Address aphids and other insects that produce honeydew. Reduce all insects near your home by replacing white lights with yellow lights.
- Once you've applied ant control in your yard, it is time to think about the exterior of your home. When ants explore your exterior, there are a few ways they're likely to get inside. Use a caulking gun to seal gaps. Replace weather strips, door sweeps, and screens. Seal foundation cracks with a repair kit.
- When ants get into your home and find food, they let other ants in their colony know about it by returning to their nests and laying down a pheromone trail. This is often why residents see hundreds of ants suddenly appearing in their homes. Ant control in your house should begin with sanitation. Keeping things clean will not only remove ant pheromone trails that bring ants into your home, it will remove crumbs and other morsels ants eat. Once things are clean, consider how you can protect any food sources in your home.
- Ants are attracted to damp habitats. Clean and repair gutters to keep your perimeter dry.
- Ants need moisture when they get inside. Repair leaky faucets, pipes, garbage disposals and other plumbing issues.
Contact The Eco-Friendly Pest Professional For Total Ant Control
When you want eco-friendly solutions, Affinity Pest Control is the right choice in Garden City. We use Integrated Pest Management, which puts an emphasis on environmentally friendly pest control and limited use of insecticides. Our technicians use ant control solutions that have been developed by entomologists and industry experts. They know what baits work best and deploy baits in a way that prevents unwanted results, such as bait aversion. Get the best control the first time by reaching out to Affinity Pest Control for effective ant control.