If you have a pet, it is likely that you know something about fleas. These are common pests for folks who have furry family members. But, when it comes to flea pest control in Garden City, it is best to be proactive.
You don't have to wait until your pet has fleas. There are things you can do to get rid of fleas in your yard and keep them out of your home. Don't wait until your pet has fleas. Let's start by taking a quick look at the problem, then we'll discuss prevention and control that works to get rid of fleas.
How To Tell If It's Fleas In Your Home
You probably know that a flea infestation can be detected by using a flea comb to inspect your pets. What you might not know is that a rodent problem or a wildlife problem can lead to a flea problem.
Long before you have a flea infestation, and long before you find flea dirt or active fleas by using a flea comb, you can work to prevent fleas.
The Dangers Fleas Bring To Garden City Families
You probably know that fleas bite. This is the danger of having them in your home. What you may not know is that fleas can do more than make your dog or cat sick. They can make the humans in your home sick. The best form of flea protection happens before you start to notice flea bites on ankles because it addresses fleas before they make you sick. Proactive flea prevention can also address fleas before your pets get sick.
Why Fleas Come Into Homes To Begin With
Fleas get into your home by hitching rides on furry animals. They can come in on your dog or your cat, and they can come into your home on a wild animal. Proactive flea prevention stops fleas from getting inside and it prevents flea bites on ankles and other body parts.
How To Get Rid Of Fleas & Keep Them Out
If you currently have a flea infestation, your first step is to get rid of fleas in your home. You may be able to do this with veterinarian prescribed products. If you have trouble getting rid of fleas in Garden City, contact Affinity Pest Control to get flea control for your house.
Once your home is free of fleas or if your home doesn't yet have fleas, it's time to think about proactive flea prevention. Here's how it works:
- Take steps to keep wild animals out of your yard. Animals bring fleas in with them. You can do this by removing food sources, water sources, and harborage options. That last one is the most important. When animals get into the voids under your deck or shed, they can bed down. This provides ideal conditions for flea larvae to survive and grow into adult fleas.
- Keep rodents out of your home. Inspect your exterior and seal every gap and hole you find. Put wire mesh in downspouts to keep rodents from getting to your roof, and trim tree branches away from your roof. If you see a spot where rodents are chewing on wood, you can use metal flashing to bolster your protection in these spots.
- Address moisture issues. Fleas need moisture to survive. If you have a clogged gutter, dense vegetation, or some other condition that makes the perimeter around your home damp, fleas will have a greater chance of successfully growing into adults and hopping onto your pets.
- If you have a dog and you do not have a fenced area for your dog to recreate in while outside, we recommend building one. Fences keep wild animals from dropping fleas where your dog enjoys outdoor time. Fences also prevent your dog from getting into landscaping and underneath your deck where cocooned fleas can be lying in wait. This will not only protect your dog, it will keep your dog from bringing fleas inside the house.
- Get residential pest control. When you have routine pest control for the exterior of your home, you'll have the best protection possible for fleas. Routine treatments of your perimeter address any adult fleas that are hiding in your vegetation and arrest the development of flea larvae. Long before you need flea control for your house, a licensed professional can help you deal with the problem of fleas.
Are you in Garden City? If so, reach out to Affinity Pest Control for year-round pest control that includes coverage for fleas. You don't have to wait until fleas are harming your pets or biting your skin. Get proactive. It is the best way to keep Garden City fleas at bay.